Proposed Mobile sessions for Drupalcon Chicago
One of the rewarding activities as maintainer of Mobile Tools is seeing how the adoption of the module is steadily growing. Since my first commit om march 22nd 2009, we have now a reported installation base of 2,630 installs and this number is steadily rising. This number can count as a good indicator how big the interest in mobile is getting...
I tried to assemble an overview of these session and categorize them in different topics:
UX/design of mobile websites
Mobile websites and mobile web applications come with a different set of usability rules. Frameworks like Sencha Touch and jQuery Mobile provide useful libraries to build dynamic mobile websites. Adaptive theming using Media Queries, CSS3 and HTML are tools that should go in each mobile developers toolkit.
These are the UX related proposed sessions:
- Designing for Mobile
- Drupal on the go with jQuery Mobile
- Adaptive Web Design - Websites that repond to screens and mobile devices:
Using Drupal as a backend for native applications
The services api is a powerful tool to connect your Drupal site with your mobile application. In case you prefer creating native applications, check out the following sessions:
- Architect your business with Drupal and Android
- The Future of Building Apps with Drupal
- Developing Apps for iPhone/iPad/Android using drupal as Base System: this session will mainly talk about creating applications using the Titanium framework, a popular framework to create apps that run on iPhone, iPad and Android.
- Creating iOS Applications for Drupal: focused on native iphone development with Drupal as a backend.
Drupal Tools for creating mobile websites
Mobile websites are a relative easy and cheap way of going mobile. Drupal has some good tools to help you in creating these mobile websites:
- Mobile Panels Sites: This session will show case the use of Panels Everywhere in order to create a mobile site. It will cover Mobile Tools too
- Making mobile websites with Drupal: I will give an overview of the mobile modules I maintain: Mobile Tools, Wurfl and Mobile Bango. I'll share experience with using them and known problems (caching!!)
Focus on specific mobile technologies
- Realtime mobile mapping with node.js, Pusherapp and Drupal: This talk about node.js and mapping is definitely one I do not want to miss!
Mobile projects from start to end
Mobile projects have very specific characteristics that determine the cost of your project. In this session I will talk about topics such as scope definition (targeted devices, browsers, ...), developing for multiple devices, mobile web testing and mobile pitfalls.
- Using Drupal as a framework for Mobile Web Development: will talk about general topics in mobile web development
- The Mobile Drupal Experience: This session will contain an overview of technologies that will leverage your mobile websites / applications
It is clear that these Mobile sessions cover a large range of topics that complement each other. I hope that this year we will see many of these presentations at Drupalcon Chicago, so we can progress as a community in making Drupal the platform of choice for powering the mobile web!
I am looking forward to meet you in chicago! (and do not forget to vote! ;))